very cheap Soyer leaded jewellery enamels
raquel
2006-03-02 04:54:57 UTC
I was looking for soyer enamels (the best enamels I know) and i've
found www.todobellasartes.com, a spanish web that sell them almost half
price of the rest.
They send them everywhere in the world.
There is anyone that know them?
Abrasha
2006-03-02 16:45:09 UTC
Post by raquel
I was looking for soyer enamels (the best enamels I know) and i've
found www.todobellasartes.com, a spanish web that sell them almost half
price of the rest.
Not quite true. I checked just one color (Transparent blue #100) ,at
http://www.enameling.com/SoyerEnamels.html#Soyer

1 lb $48.00 the Spanish site 500 grams Euro 29.00, which at today's rate is
$34.80. Shipping from Spain to the US will be a great deal more than to
anywhere in the US (I assume you are in the US) from Nevada.

Add to that the inconvenience of possible trouble at the border because our oh
so smart narcotics agents, drug agents and assorted anti terrorist agents don't
know what that colored powder is, and they have to subject your shipment to
quarantine, and/or testing, before they completely lose it or just throw it
away, because they just don't know what to do with it or how to deal with it.
Post by raquel
They send them everywhere in the world.
There is anyone that know them?
It may be a very reputable company, but for a company that claims to be shipping
worldwide, their Spanish only web site is nothing short of pathetic.

For one, even though they seem to be a large and well stocked general art supply
store having been in business for more than 60 years (from viewing the few
photos on the site, and reading their promo), all they have on their site are
wood chisels and enamels. Odd combination. Many of their pages are "under
construction". They are beginners in the virtual world.

Stick with a company you can talk to any time of the day, and whose shipments
are not more than a day away with overnight delivery when you need them in a
hurry.

Or maybe you could order directly from the manufacturer at
http://www.emaux-soyer.com/index.html
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Ted Frater
2006-03-03 03:58:31 UTC
Post by raquel
I was looking for soyer enamels (the best enamels I know) and i've
found www.todobellasartes.com, a spanish web that sell them almost half
price of the rest.
They send them everywhere in the world.
There is anyone that know them?
If you find you get the results you want with Soyer? is it?you say?
then stick with them.
Now you mention leaded enamels,
as the user you need to be more than careful because at higher than the
normal fusing to glossy temperatures the lead will volatalise out of the
enamel and get into your work area.
despite that, the leaded enamels do give superb results if you know how
to use them.
If you think there the best, you need to widen your research into enamels.
Here in Europe the best enamels are or were available from Schauer in
Vienna, they supplied Faberge for his work for the Romanoff's.
then theres Degussa in Germany, and Wengers in the UK.
Any pictures of your work anywhere?
Todd Rich
2006-03-06 00:58:14 UTC
Post by Ted Frater
Post by raquel
I was looking for soyer enamels (the best enamels I know) and i've
found www.todobellasartes.com, a spanish web that sell them almost half
price of the rest.
They send them everywhere in the world.
There is anyone that know them?
I like using Ninomiya leaded enamels. The only place I know that I can
get them from is Enamelwork Supply Co, in Seattle, WA. Their number is
1-800-596-3257. The color range is wonderful, and they mature out at
fairly close to each other, so you don't have incompatible colors. They
run about $4 to $8 an ounce. Coral (the owner) is a wonderful person to
deal with.
Post by Ted Frater
If you find you get the results you want with Soyer? is it?you say?
then stick with them.
Now you mention leaded enamels,
as the user you need to be more than careful because at higher than the
normal fusing to glossy temperatures the lead will volatalise out of the
enamel and get into your work area.
despite that, the leaded enamels do give superb results if you know how
to use them.
A friend of mine is dealing with chronic antimony poisoning from working
with Schauer enamels in college. I don't know if the Ninomiya enamels are
any safer, but I've been following the safety procedures my friend taught
me and I get annual heavy metals testing and other than a small blip on my
barium levels I've been below all the baseline levels. (The barium source
probably came from welding flux exposure at my work. Still well within
safe levels, just higher than expected.)
Post by Ted Frater
If you think there the best, you need to widen your research into enamels.
Here in Europe the best enamels are or were available from Schauer in
Vienna, they supplied Faberge for his work for the Romanoff's.
then theres Degussa in Germany, and Wengers in the UK.
Any pictures of your work anywhere?
I thought Schauer went out of business, but a quick google search shows
they are still available. I don't remember where I heard that, but
appearently they were wrong. Given that I've been finding all the colors
I need in the Ninomiya range, I'll probably stay with them.

Todd
Abrasha
2006-03-04 03:07:49 UTC
Post by raquel
I was looking for soyer enamels (the best enamels I know) and i've
found www.todobellasartes.com, a spanish web that sell them almost half
price of the rest.
They send them everywhere in the world.
There is anyone that know them?
I forgot to mention something in my previous post.

The Soyer enamels are LEAD BASED. I hope you are aware of that.

If you are not, you may want to inform yourself on how to protect yourself
adequately when using lead based enamels. Watch the video on the Soyer web site
and see how the workers are protected with special breathing masks.

You probably would not need anything that extensive, nevertheless, you need to
protect yourself.
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
mbstevens
2006-03-06 03:15:53 UTC
Post by Abrasha
I forgot to mention something in my previous post.
The Soyer enamels are LEAD BASED. I hope you are aware of that.
If you are not, you may want to inform yourself on how to protect yourself
adequately when using lead based enamels. Watch the video on the Soyer web site
and see how the workers are protected with special breathing masks.
And for torch firing I would avoid lead altogether!

http://www.mbstevens.com/cgi/mkatt.pl?name=jewelry/exhaust_system